/* ---- Google Analytics Code Below */

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Computing History

Now reading: Dreaming in code : two dozen programmers, three years, 4,732 bugs, and one quest for transcendent software by Scott Rosenberg. A history of Mitch Kapor's Chandler development. I don't code any more, but I did develop some fairly complex systems and I recall the almost religious and infectious aspect of developing a system. And also that complex systems were devilishly hard to debug, if they ever are debugged.

Also reminded me of applications like Lotus Agenda, which I recall was being used by a number of folks corporately before folding. Also covers a good bit of mid to late 90s changes in computing. Also have to mention the bi-monthly IEEE Annals of the History of Computing, which I have read for years now. It does sometimes deal with minutiae which I skip. But it also covers some fascinating areas that are well worth reading, for example in this issue, some of the early history of computer crime.

No comments: