/* ---- Google Analytics Code Below */

Monday, October 12, 2009

Examples of Visualization

A number of interesting visualizations of data. The original piece is 50 great examples of data visualization. There is no doubt that these are colorful, finely crafted and complex. They are worth looking at as examples of how data can be organized in new ways. But are they 'great'? I can see at least a few that could be replaced with simple bar charts. I am a proponent of simple is better and if I a trying to create something that leads me to interact with data, rather than attract me to the data, many of these go over the edge. If you are trying to attract someone to the fact that there is a problem, ok, but it is less useful if you are trying to solve the problem with the visual. Caution, visuals should be only as complex as they need to be.

No comments: