/* ---- Google Analytics Code Below */

Saturday, November 06, 2010

Goodbye Google 411

I see that the Google 411 service is about to be dropped.  I had become accustomed to the ability to do  accurate hands-free local phone connections using it.  It was particularly useful when traveling to get local connections.    Also useful at the health club.    The NY Times article also indicated that a number of blind and visually impaired users had been using it as well.  It also implied that Google was using it as a 'honeypot' to gather speech phonemes.  Getting too attached to any Beta service is a mistake, yet we have gotten used to doing exactly that.  and Google has the right to pull it as they require, but it is net annoying,  Still, there is Bing 411, and  other alternatives.

1 comment:

jfguerra said...

Oh no!!!!! I missed that one! I loved the service! You mean I am going to have to use my browser now?